Ontario Insects– TEA Newsjournal
Ontario Lepidoptera--Annual Seasonal Summaries
Ontario Butterfly Atlas. This is the successor to our hardcover book, The Ontario Butterfly Atlas (1991).
Migrations and Unidirectional Movements of Dragonflies in Northeastern North America (2017) - an e-publication
The Pipevine Swallowtail: Life Cycle and Ecology (2012)
The Butterflies of Waterloo Region (2012)
The Bumble Bees of Algonquin Provincial Park: A Field Guide (2010)
Checklist of the Butterflies of the Toronto Region, 3rd edition, 2007
Checklist of Ontario Odonata, 2010
Ontario Odonata--Annual Seasonal Summaries
"Butterflies of Toronto" is part of the City of Toronto Biodiversity Booklet Series. A number of TEA members were part of the writing team. This 68-page full-colour booklet was released in 2011,and was revised and reprinted in 2015. Stocks may l be available for free distribution in some City of Toronto libraries -- North York Central would be the one possibility. The booklet contains 6 pages on good locations to observe butterflies in Toronto. Other publications in the series are Bees of Toronto and Spiders of Toronto.
The ROM Field Guide to Ontario Butterflies is another key source.
See also a 2001 study on the Bog Elfin produced for the Ontario government (MNRF), which is posted here by MNRF's permission. As noted in an article in our 2016 Ontario Lepidoptera pubication, the distribution of this species is currently under study.
The TEA has at various times issued special purpose-publications. All of these are available for free download below:
- Pieris virginiensis Edwards in Ontario, by Quimby F. Hess. Published in 1975. 36 pages.
- Butterflies & Moths on Stamps, by Alan J. Hanks. Published in 1977. All copies have been lost.
- Gazetteer of Place Names Used in Toronto Entomologists' Association Summaries, 1969-1977, by Alan J. Hanks. Published in 1978. 11 pages.
- Ontario Insect Collectors News. This was published by the Entomological Society of Ontario, but it was co-edited by TEA member Alan J. Hanks. There were 3 issues: no. 1 (1981), no. 2 (1982) and no. 3 (1984) totalling 28 pages. Also included in the pdf is the one and only issue of the Ontario Amateur Entomologists Newsletter, April 1989.
- Backus Woods Project, 1985. 24 pages.
- Five Year (1984-1988) Supplement to The Butterflies of Point Pelee National Park, Ontario, (1983), by Alan Wormington. Published in 1989. 15 pages. This was an update of his 1983 article in the Ontario Field Biologist.
- Damselflies and Dragonflies (Odonata) of Ontario: Resource Guide and Annotated List
by P.M. Catling and V.R. Brownell (2000).
- A Contribution to the Knowledge of Hyalophora (Hyalophora) columbia (Lep.: Saturniidae) by J. C. E. Riotte, 1970.
Many of the publications listed above are free and can be dowloaded from the website in pdf form. For those which are for sale, contact Chris Rickard or firstname.lastname@example.org