Counts are a great opportunity to improve
your identification skills. If you don't feel your level of expertise
is high enough, you can always check with the count organizer. Often
you can go along with a more experienced person. I hope you'll join
at least one in your neighbourhood.
On some of the counts refreshments or
camping facilities may be provided. Don't hesitate to contact the organizers
if you have any questions. They would appreciate you letting them know
as soon as possible if you will be participating, so they can plan more
Dates are subject to change! Please check
with the count organizer in advance. Also, at some counts people meet first thing in the morning, and then disperse; at others, people meet at noon; at still others, people meet at dinner.
Everyone is welcome, whatever your skill
level. Note that many of these counts are done for the North American
Butterfly Association and that there may be a nominal charge for participating.
Please be prepared for the count activity with sunscreen, water, hat,
food, and other items suggested by the count organizer. This list has
been compiled by Carolyn King.
There are 22 butterfly counts and 8 odonate counts listed below. At the bottom, we list a few counts which were expected to be held for 2019 but for which we have no data.
- Mon. June 17, Sandbanks Prov. Park, Yvette Bree, (613) 393-2565, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sat. June 22, Rice Lake Butterfly Count (south of Peterborough), Val Deziel, (705) 868-5374 (daytime), email@example.com
- Sat. June 22 (23). Muskoka Bala, Al Sinclair, (705) 645-2848, firstname.lastname@example.org (meet at 9:30 a.m. at Ragged Rapids Hydro Generating Station parking lot: latitude 45.018764, longitude -79.689492)
- Sat. June 22 (23), Pinery Provincial Park & N.Lambton (meet at Visitor Centre at 8:30). Brenda Kulon, (519) 869-2833, email@example.com Please register ahead if possible. Register at the above number so as to gain entry to the provincial park.
- Sat. June 29, Otter Valley (Port Burwell, on Lake Erie), Joe Stephenson, (519) 874-4028, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sat. June 29 (30), Belfountain (west of Caledon), Bill McIlveen, (519) 853-3948, email@example.com
- Sun. June 30, Oshawa, James Kamstra, (905) 985-4497, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mon. July 1, TEA Toronto East, Carolyn King, 905-720-2784, email@example.com
- Wed. July 3 (contact ahead to confirm), Presqu'ile Prov., Park, David Bree, (613) 475-4324 x225, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed. July 3, Algonquin Park, Hwy 60 (east side: lat-long 45.5667° & -78.4°), Colin Jones, (705) 927-0336, email@example.com
- Sat. July 6, Long Point, Adam Timpf, cell (519) 429-4147, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sat. July 6 (7), Manion Corners (near Ottawa), Jeff Skevington, (w) (613) 759-1647, (h) (613) 720-2862, email@example.com
- Sun. July 7, Hamilton (9 am meet at the church at SW corner of Concession 8 and Kirkwall Road), Bill Lamond, (519) 756-9546, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sun. July 7, Sunderland (north of Oshawa), James Kamstra, (905) 985-4497, email@example.com
- Sun. July 7, Skunk's Misery (southwest of London). Meet at 8:30 at Newbury Hospital parking lot; count round-up dinner at Prieksaitis family house at 11110 Furvinal Road, Rodney; George Prieksaitis, (647) 401-2038 (cell),(905) 469-9946 (home), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sat. July 13, Toronto Centre, John Carley, (416) 930-6987, email@example.com
- Sat. July 13, Haliburton Highlands, Ed Poropat, (705) 457-3018, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sat. July 13 (14), Cambridge (rare Charitable Research Reserve, starting 9 a.m. at Lamb's Inn, 1679 Blair Road, to be led by Jenna Quinn email@example.com. Register online or call the office at 519-650-9336
- Sun. July 14, Rondeau Prov. Park, Laura Penner, (519) 674-1772, Laura.Penner@ontario.ca
- Sat. July 20 (21), Petroglyphs Prov. Park (near Peterborough), Jerry Ball, 574 Douglas Ave. Peterborough, ON K9J 4L1, (705) 745-3272
- Mon. July 22 (24), Fenelon Falls (north of Lindsay), Dan Bone, 705 887-4691, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tues. July 23 (24), Hog Island (near Pembroke), Jean Brereton, (613) 625-2263, email@example.com
- Wed. July 24 & Thurs. July 25, Science North (near Sudbury), Jacquie Bertrand, (705) 522-3701 ext. 280, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fri. July 26, Carden Alvar (east of Orillia) Butterfly Count, Brittany Hope, (705) 209-0705, email@example.com (please register in advance, either by contacting Brittany or online at www.conservationvolunteers.ca). Or contact Bob Bowles, (705) 325-3149, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sun. July 28. Clear Creek (NE of Rondeau Provincial Park). Meet 8:30 am at 11110 Furnival Road in Rodney, Ont. George Prieksaitis (647) 401-2038 (cell) (905) 469-9946 (home), email@example.com
- Tues. July 30, Pelee Island Butterfly Count, Bob Bowles, (705) 325-3149, firstname.lastname@example.org
Format of this list is: Date (Rain date, if any), Location, Contact, Telephone, Email
- June - August (multiple dates), Murphys Point Provincial Park (north of Kingston, near Perth), Bev Edwards, (613) 284-1637, email@example.com.
- Thu. July 4, Algonquin Odonate (meet at the Algonquin Park Visitor Centre at km 43 of Hwy. 60), Peter Mills, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sat. July 6, Haliburton Highlands, Ed Poropat, (705) 457-3018, email@example.com
- Sat. July 6(7), Hamilton Odonate Count, 9 am meet at the church at SW corner of Concession 8 and Kirkwall Road, Brenda Van Ryswyk, (905) 336-1158 ext. 2282 (normal office hours), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thurs. July 11, Minesing Wetlands (west of Barrie) Dragonfly Count, Brittany Hope, (705) 209-0705, email@example.com (please register in advance, either by contacting Brittany or www.conservationvolunteers.ca. Or contact Bob Bowles, (705) 325-3149, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thur. July 25, Carden Alvar (east of Orillia) Dragonfly Count, Brittany Hope, (705) 209-0705, email@example.com (please register in advance, either by contacting Brittany or www.conservationvolunteers.ca. Or contact Bob Bowles, (705) 325-3149, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sat. July 27 (29), Lake Dore (near Pembroke) Odonate, Christian Renault, 613-717-3142, Meet at the Melissa Bishop Park. (45°38'13.12"N, 77° 04'53.44"W), email@example.com
- Fri. June 28 (July 2): Lake Dore (near Eganville), Jean Brereton, (613) 625-2263, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed. July 31, Pelee Island Dragonfly Count, Bob Bowles, (705) 325-3149, email@example.comSat. July 7(8),
Sat. July 6, Awenda Provincial Park (near Penetanguishene), Tim Tully, (705) 549-2231 X 225, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sat. July 6, MacGregor Point Prov. Park (near Port Elgin). Kathleen Chayer, 519-389-6232. email@example.com
Sat. July 6, Windsor, Tom Preney, (519) 966-5852, firstname.lastname@example.org
(date?) Royal Botanical Gardens (Burlington) Butterfly Count. Meet at RBG main centre, 680 Plains Rd W, Burlington. Lindsay Barr (905) 527-1158 x257 (or 1-800-694-4769, same ext.), email@example.com
Fri. June 22. Odonate count of Royal Botanical Gardens, Burlington. This is part of the RBG bioblitz, so visit the RBG website after April 30 to register for that.