This isn't our publication, but is part of the City of Toronto Biodiversity Booklet Series. A number of TEA members were part of the writing team. This 68-page full-colour booklet was released in 2011,and was revised and reprinted in 2015. Stocks may l be available for free distribution in some City of Toronto libraries -- North York Central would be the one possibility. The booklet contains 6 pages on good locations to observe butterflies in Toronto. Another publication in the series covers Spiders of Toronto.
Ontario Insects– TEA Newsjournal
Ontario Lepidoptera--Annual Seasonal Summaries
The Pipevine Swallowtail: Life Cycle and Ecology (2012)
The Butterflies of Waterloo Region (2012)
The Bumble Bees of Algonquin Provincial Park: A Field Guide (2010)
The Ontario Butterfly Atlas (1991) A new edition of the atlas is in preparation for possible 2014 publication-- see the Ontario Butterfly Atlas Online.
Checklist of the Butterflies of the Toronto Region, 3rd edition, 2007
Checklist of Ontario Odonata, 2010
Ontario Odonata--Annual Seasonal Summaries
The TEA has at various times issued special purpose-publications. All of these are available for free download below:
- Pieris virginiensis Edwards in Ontario, by Quimby F. Hess. Published in 1975. 36 pages.
- Butterflies & Moths on Stamps, by Alan J. Hanks. Published in 1977. All copies have been lost.
- Gazetteer of Place Names Used in Toronto Entomologists' Association Summaries, 1969-1977, by Alan J. Hanks. Published in 1978. 11 pages.
- Ontario Insect Collectors News. This was published by the Entomological Society of Ontario, but it was co-edited by TEA member Alan J. Hanks. There were 3 issues: no. 1 (1981), no. 2 (1982) and no. 3 (1984) totalling 28 pages. Also included in the pdf is the one and only issue of the Ontario Amateur Entomologists Newsletter, April 1989.
- Backus Woods Project, 1985. 24 pages.
- Five Year (1984-1988) Supplement to The Butterflies of Point Pelee National Park, Ontario, (1983), by Alan Wormington. Published in 1989. 15 pages.
- Damselflies and Dragonflies (Odonata) of Ontario: Resource Guide and Annotated List
by P.M. Catling and V.R. Brownell (2000).
- A Contribution to the Knowledge of Hyalophora (Hyalophora) columbia (Lep.: Saturniidae) by J. C. E. Riotte, 1970.
These are NOT photocopies but are high quality
scans by University of Toronto Press - the interior pages are on acid-free
paper. The cover is a deluxe-quality hardcover but is not the same as
the original. Prices are subject to change.
The Odonata of Canada
& Alaska (3 volumes): a classic!
By E.M. Walker
In Canada, $185 Canadian;
The Cicindelidae of Canada
(tiger beetles): a classic!
By J.B. Wallis (1961) with colour plates
In Canada, $28 Canadian; international, inquire for rates
The North American Dragonflies
of the Genus Aeshna (temporarily unavailable: please inquire)
By E.M. Walker (1921) with colour plates
In Canada, $115 Canadian; international, inquire for rates
(temporarily unavailable: please inquire)
By E.M.Walker (1925)
In Canada, $55 Canadian; international, inquire for rates
Many of the publications listed above are free and can be dowloaded from the website in pdf form. For those which are for sale, contact Chris Rickard or email@example.com
Orders must be prepaid. All prices include applicable taxes and shipping. Personal
cheques accepted for US or Canadian orders; money or postal orders only
for others. Please make cheques or money orders out to Toronto Entomologists'
Association. Sorry we can’t take credit card orders.
All prices above are for non-members. Contact us for special member prices.